C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 4
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Hardly had I got up from the seat _____________ the police came over to speak to me.
2. I didn't realise that Chicago was _____________ big a city. It can be frightening!
3. In _____________ years, many medical and sports professionals have stressed the importance of combining diet with increased physical exercise to help lose weight.
4. As a _____________ of burning calories, nothing much beats the old fashioned exercise bike.
5. Futuristic methods of personal transportation, _____________ as skycars or robot cars, may become an everyday sight by 2050.
6. House prices have a large effect on consumer confidence in _____________ the same way as inflation does.
7. I am not disappointed in you Max. If _____________, I am even prouder than I was before this episode.