C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 7
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The walls of the local military command were _____________ by anti-government graffiti and that was the first sign of general rebellion in the city.
2. Harris is a great player but often, he is _____________ to disappear from a game in the last twenty minutes and that is what happened here today.
3. All the hotels along the river are of good quality except The Palace Hotel. If you _____________ clear of that, you shouldn't have too many problems.
4. I can see how old those jeans are. They have _____________ almost to a sky blue color after all these years.
5. That old house is _____________ with rats! There is no way I would ever go and live there without at least five cats.
6. What I really _____________ for when I was young was a pony but my parents didn't have enough money and I had to be happy with a hamster!
7. He was arrested on a lonely highway and charged with drinking while under the _____________ of alcohol.
d. side effects
8. _____________ by despair at her situation, she tried in vain to rob the local bank and ended up in prison for five years.
9. I have to _____________ your offer of money at this time but will consider your generous gift if need be in the future.
10. Bill and Mary resolved their problems after her brother got them to sit down and have a(n) _____________ talk with each other.