C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 6
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. As soon as the problem at work blew up, he instantly thought about how he could come out of it looking good. He is such a _____________ person.
2. The sound of the jet taking off from the nearby airport _____________ the peace of the countryside and startled the horses.
3. "Look, I don't know the best solution," he said _____________ his shoulders and walking away from the table.
4. We carried on down the path, _____________ of the notice warning of avalanche risk.
5. That old wall will need to be _____________. Otherwise, it will fall down come the first strong winds of winter.
6. The cheese in the fridge is _____________ a very funny smell. I think it must be bad. I will throw it out.
a. giving up
b. giving in
c. giving off
d. giving out
7. The judge declared a _____________ today due to unfair media coverage and the trial will be restarted again early next year.
8. You must go and see that new soppy film with Richard Gere. Don't be afraid to _____________ a few tears though. I did!!
9. There is no way you will be able to lift that stone up to here. Get a few of the men to help you _____________ it up with a rope.
10. The smoke was seen to rise a few metres up from the bonfire and then _____________ slowly down the valley on the slight breeze that blew.