C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 5 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. He was given the France post even though his French is decidedly _____________.
2. What really _____________ me as I walked into the office was the number of women working there!
d. seemed to
3. Oh! That guitar is out of _____________. What a horrible sound!
4. The company has a lot of problems but they all seem to _____________ to money.
a. boil down
b. cook up
c. lead over
d. reason out
5. The walls of your bathroom were wet with _____________ after my shower so I opened the window.
6. You treat this house like a hotel Tim! And you take your mother totally for _____________. You should appreciate what she does for you more.
7. We took Bill _____________ for a couple of months after the fire at his home. It was no trouble as we have the extra bedroom up in the converted loft.
8. _____________ did he complain to the head waiter all night, but he didn't leave a tip at the end of the night either!
a. not really
b. on no account
c. not only
d. no longer
9. _____________ you get the job. Where would you go and live?
c. as long as
10. Did you ever _____________ for anything when you were a child or did you have everything you desired?