C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 4
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. It was a _____________ good film Howard. You absolutely have to go and see it!
2. There is too much weight on that table. It won't _____________ for much longer.
3. They had to buy a lot of equipment for the old boat, _____________ a new anchor.
b. coupled with
c. joined to
d. partnered with
4. I went to see the boss about a pay rise and he brushed me _____________ with a weak excuse about a business dinner and left me standing there!
5. Can you _____________ who is at the door while I take the meat out of the oven?
6. You should always be _____________ when someone you don't know calls at your house.
7. The new controversial tax law comes into _____________ from next May. Everyone should prepare themselves to avoid problems.
8. We don't seem to have any more of that title, Sir. It is out of _____________ but we are getting a new delivery next Thursday if you would like to pop back then.
9. The new teacher was taken advantage of by the students and often had to _____________ her authority.
10. You can't go to the interview with your shoes like that! Why don't you give them a quick _____________?