C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 30
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The local government is set to crack _____________ on illegal trade activities.
2. This dish might not _____________ everyone as it is quite spicy.
3. The _____________ was a powerful expression of the dancer's emotions.
4. According to a survey _____________ by the university, students are spending more time studying online.
5. He remembered the event _____________, every detail etched in his mind.
6. Many stakeholders felt there was a lack of _____________ in the decision-making process.
7. Despite being a high-ranking official, he was surprisingly _____________ and approachable.
8. With a loud _____________, the branch snapped under his weight.