C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 3 - Answer Sheet
Deciding between different, similar vocabulary items becomes ever more difficult as students progress to higher levels in their English studies. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. You can exercise your _____________ to cancel the contract immediately, but you wouldn't receive any money at that point.
2. We were all in _____________ of the fact that the new manager was our old friend Duncan.
3. The icy road conditions _____________ in over twenty minor accidents this morning, but fortunately no-one was seriously injured.
4. My uncle Warren is a thoroughly despicable character. His one _____________ feature is that he loves children.
5. I don't think anyone understood what I was saying at the meeting, did they? I totally failed to get my point _____________.
6. There was a veritable _____________ of angry phone calls from members of the public complaining about the new controversial series on TV.
7. The sales practices of this company will have to be totally _____________ if we are to save it.
8. For lunch, I always have something quick and easy: a sandwich, a salad, toast and the _____________.
9. The government announced today that they intend to _____________ the rise of crime in the inner cities by increasing police budgets in the areas most affected.
10. We weren't _____________ of the danger we were in until it was too late and the ice started to break. We are lucky to be alive!