C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 22 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The difference between roads and rivers is not very _____________ defined on this map. That could be a problem.
2. Out upon the cloud covered hills, we only caught the occasional glimpse of the town lights _____________ far below in the valley.
3. After a month, I will _____________ the ropes and won't keep bothering you for help.
4. Here's something that will give you _____________ for thought. Every year, there are 90 million more people on the Earth than the year before!
5. And also among our guests tonight, we are fortunate enough to have the _____________ environmentalist Kathy Wong.
6. When I _____________ my fingers, I want you to stop playing but continue to tap your feet to the rhythm.
7. _____________ retrospect, we should have noticed how unhappy Carla had become in her marriage. I partly blame myself.
8. Haiti is by far and _____________ the most beautiful place I have ever been to.