C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 2 - Answer Sheet
Deciding between different, similar vocabulary items becomes ever more difficult as students progress to higher levels in their English studies. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. My company has just spent two million dollars, _____________ a world famous artist to paint a huge mural for the main entrance foyer.
2. During the riots, hundreds of people broke into the city's main department store and _____________ it. There was almost nothing left after the night had finished.
3. The new government group will _____________ the effects of smoking on the academic abilities of people under 18 years of age.
4. This fruit has been in the fridge for over three weeks! It is all _____________.
5. I don't think Jones and Marlowe should work together on this project. They have shown us before that they are quite _____________ as partners.
6. You have been _____________ with first degree murder. How do you plea?
7. That old house hasn't been lived in for nearly thirty years, hence the fact that it looks so _____________.
8. The great thing about this bank loan is that they give you so long to _____________.
a. pay it in
b. give it up
c. pay it up
d. pay it off
e. give it out
9. We can't use this table as it isn't totally _____________. The balls will roll to one side.
10. _____________ me another beer Des. Then I really must be going. It is quite late!