C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 18 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The fish will already give this soup enough salt so you won't need to add much - maybe just a _____________.
2. Stop _____________ me in the back with your finger please. If you want something, just ask like everyone else!
3. A good teacher must be a(n) _____________ one, always prepared to introduce new ideas and technology into the classroom.
4. Having spent too much time playing basketball in his spare time, Roger now found he was falling _____________ the other students in the other subjects at school.
5. Tying all the little pieces of string together to make the long chain was a slow, _____________ process which took us over six days in all.
6. Due to heavy snow and high winds, the Bishop Mountain Nature Park will be _____________ for at least the next few days.
7. I have done more than my fair _____________ of work. Now I am having a rest.
8. With the new bridge open across the estuary, the old car ferry was made _____________.
9. When I say I want you to be here at six o'clock, I mean six o'clock _____________. You cannot be late under any circumstances!
a. on the edge
b. at the moment
c. on the dot
d. in detail
10. It was 238 years ago on this _____________ day that the town was founded.