C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 16 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Most of the examination is written but there is also a(n) _____________ part which I am really worried about.
2. I thought the teacher would be really angry but he was pretty _____________ in his punishment of us actually.
3. We replaced the broken vase with a very similar one that we found the next day in the market and they were _____________ the wiser when they returned from their vacation.
4. _____________ with anger, Mr. Jensson stormed into the local tax office and demanded to see someone about his case which had dragged on for nearly three years.
5. I never had a moment to myself Tony. I never _____________ looking at your broken radio. Sorry!
a. got round to
b. got over
c. found out about
d. got away with
6. We must have wasted half the morning at the post office. There were only three _____________ open and the rest of the staff were just sat around smoking and reading newspapers. I was furious!
7. Wow! That was delicious Marny! I have to _____________ it to you: yours is the best tiramisu in the world!
8. EduScope is the new _____________ which advises the government about new policies in education. Most of the members are former teachers or school administrators.
9. Archaeology students often go on a lot of _____________ to get practical experience of archaeological digs happening in their area.
a. field trips
10. My new secretary doesn't even know _____________. It takes her an age to copy down a letter that I dictate to her.