C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 15
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Suddenly, Hoskins looked up as the train _____________ to an abrupt halt. Maybe the KGB had discovered his whereabouts.
2. You haven't cooked this meat enough Andrew. Mine is almost _____________!
3. I do like the new boss but he is just a bit too bossy for my _____________.
4. You will know if the bomb arms itself. It will _____________ a high-pitched sound for about ten seconds before it goes off.
5. She hid the killer for two days in her house and has now been charged with _____________ the course of justice.
6. Did you hear that old Harris has married Jessica, the daughter of the Duchess of Wilmslow! That is quite a _____________ in my opinion.
7. The consequences of this terrorist attack will be _____________. World peace is truly under threat.
8. Don't touch that letter yet. I have just written it with my new ink pen and it will _____________.
9. There will be a long _____________ process before you can be considered for this highly sensitive post. We will let you know in about three months if we can continue with the application.
10. The company bought, then sold, their main rivals at a large profit and the _____________ were used to improve technology in the factories worldwide.