C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 14 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The investigation after the accident found that someone had _____________ with the rocket's fuel systems causing the launchpad explosion.
2. Although a _____________ retina sounds very serious, the operation to repair it only took a short time.
3. Harrison _____________ the ball in the last minute! His team-mates look furious as their last chance for victory slips away.
4. The robbery was carried out in _____________ daylight and with hundreds of witnesses present.
5. Along with your new responsibilities, you will also have _____________ to highly confidential information about the staff here, so we need you to sign a new agreement promising not to disclose anything.
6. Do you know what the letters D.V.D _____________?
a. stand by
b. stand down
c. stand for
d. stand over
7. Come on Jane. Stop _____________ and make a decision and then we can go!
8. The unmanned _____________ left Earth in 1986 and reached Saturn this week where it will take photos and radio other information back to us here.
9. That car is a bit on the costly _____________! I think I will think about it for a few days.
10. In some parts of Europe, being in _____________ of cannabis is legal although selling it to others is still illegal.