C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 12 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. As you can see Mr. Beeston, this apartment is lovely and _____________ and gets the sun for most of the day. It would be wonderful here in the summer.
2. The nation went into two days of official _____________ when the president was killed.
3. Police knew the escaped bear was in the area but it proved _____________ and they eventually gave up the hunt.
4. Talent, luck and bribery will get you so far in this world but there is no _____________ for hard work!
5. Look, everything is half price in that shop window. They are having a _____________ sale!
a. moving on
b. closing down
c. setting off
d. breaking down
6. Looking after four children alone took its _____________ on Jennifer but she coped admirably.
7. He finally managed to find a hotel, _____________ a very expensive one, and they were both relieved.
c. even though
8. That was a very tasty stew Mrs. Honeywell. Can I have another _____________?
9. OK, I just made "turnip" for 18 points, Gary. Now, it's your _____________.
10. I don't think I have enough money till the weekend even for myself, _____________ lend you any!
a. not speaking to
b. let alone
c. not counting