C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 10
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. We won the _____________ part of two million dollars on the lottery.
2 Hopes are _____________ of finding anyone else alive after a fishing boat went down off the Scottish coast late last night. Three men were picked up but another four are still missing.
3. You might have failed twice, but I think you should _____________ and you will eventually succeed.
4. The police spokesman said he was _____________ to believe that the arrested man was the serial killer they had been looking for.
5. Even though the two men didn't commit any crime, the police were alerted to their suspicious behaviour _____________ outside the bank for nearly an hour.
6. The team threw on all their substitutes in the last five minutes, all to no _____________ as they lost the game narrowly by three points.
7. The _____________ of winter always brings reports of people getting caught out by inclement weather when they least expected it.
8. Soldiers reported many of the prisoners of war to be drunk from the effects of vodka, used by the poorly equipped enemy soldiers to _____________ the pain of toothache.
9. There will be one general meeting per month, _____________ the usual section meetings every week.
d. as well
10. There is no chance of you getting the promotion after only two months working here, _____________ the great work you have done.