C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 1 - Answer Sheet
Deciding between different, similar vocabulary items becomes ever more difficult as students progress to higher levels in their English studies. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The old house was _____________ furnished and we had to buy almost everything new.
2. The main way into the building is via High Street but there is also a(n) _____________ at the back used for deliveries.
3. I have been back to the doctor three times and he still hasn't _____________ the reason for all the pain I have been suffering from recently.
d. looked up
4. You shouldn't have bought so many _____________ presents on this holiday. You won't have any money left when you go back home.
5. It's a long walk tomorrow. We need to _____________ as early as possible.
a. set up
b. set in
c. set off
d. set about
6. Sometimes, we don't appreciate the _____________ pleasures of life such as a beautiful sky, a cup of coffee with a friend or seeing a good film at the cinema.
7. Even though she is 87, her mind is very _____________ and she is very aware of everything going on around her.
8. The captain decided to _____________ ship even though he thought there was no real danger of it sinking.
9. If you continue to _____________ debts at this rate, you will have to declare bankruptcy eventually.
10. The accidental _____________ of four listed buildings near the city centre caused a huge outcry and the manager of the building company was jailed for three months.