C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 3 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Give me a call only if you have to buy gas for the car.
Unless __YOU RUN OUT OF__ gas, don't call me.
2. Watch the new secretary carefully this week to make sure she doesn't make any big mistakes.
Keep __AN EYE ON THE__ secretary this week to make sure she doesn't make any big mistakes.
3. You shouldn't be surprised at Kevin winning that tournament.
It __SHOULD COME AS NO SURPRISE__ that Kevin won that tournament.
4. There is no doubt at all that the government will win the election.
It is __A FOREGONE CONCLUSION__ that the government will win the election.
5. This is certainly not the last time you will be needed here on a Sunday.
It is __BY NO MEANS CERTAIN (THAT)__ you won't be needed again on a Sunday.
6. Whatever happens, don't let anyone into the building without proper identity.
__UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES__ should you let anyone into the building without proper identity.
7. If it wasn't for your arrogance, you would have gotten your promotion a long time ago.
__BUT FOR YOUR__ arrogance, you would have gotten your promotion a long time ago.
8. I presume you are coming to the party Miriam.
Can I __TAKE IT AS READ (THAT)__ you are coming to the party Miriam?