C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 2 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. She wants nothing less than to get that job. It would be a dream come true.
She has __SET HER HEART/(MIND) ON__ getting that job.
2. If they ever discover your role in the incident, you will go to prison.
If your role in the incident __EVER COMES TO LIGHT__, you'll go to prison.
3. Harry plays tennis much better than I do.
I am not __NEARLY AS GOOD A__ tennis player as Harry is.
4. Both candidates for the job are strong. They are both equally good.
There is __HARDLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN / ANYTHING SEPARATING__ the two job candidates.
5. That child is twice as tall as he was two years ago.
That child's __HEIGHT HAS DOUBLED__ in the last two years.
6. As soon as I arrived at the pub, a fight started.
No __SOONER HAD I ARRIVED THAN__ a fight broke out in the pub.
7. There were very few people who understood what the professor said in the meeting.
There __WAS VIRTUALLY NOBODY/NO-ONE__ who understood what the professor said in the meeting.
8. The bank robbers had disappeared completely by the time the police arrived.
There __WAS NO SIGN OF THE__ robbers when the police arrived.