C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 13 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. She'd prefer it if you kept it to yourself.
She'd __RATHER YOU DIDN'T TELL__ anyone.
2. When he had another look at the manuscript, I was really impressed by its quality.
On __LOOKING/READING THROUGH THE MANUSCRIPT__, he was really impressed by its quality.
3. He continued his talk, even though everyone looked bored.
He __KEPT ON TALKING/TALKED ON__ despite everyone looking bored.
4. Martin was very happy to be selected for the hockey team.
Much __TO MARTIN'S DELIGHT, HE WAS__ selected for the hockey team.
5. My sister concluded that he should take the teaching job.
My sister __CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT__ she should take the teaching job.
6. Without the umbrella, we would have been soaked.
Had __IT NOT BEEN FOR__ the umbrella, we would have been soaked.
7. She'd better give up all hope of promotion.
She should __PUT ALL THOUGHTS OF BEING__ promoted out of her mind.
8. What's the point of all this extra furniture?
What is __ALL THIS FURNITURE IN AID__ of?