C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 11
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Your brother must try to accept that he'll never be an author!
Your brother must __________________________ the fact that he'll never be an author.
2. No students must enter the examination room after 10 o'clock, whatever the reason.
Under __________________________ enter the examination room after 10 o'clock.
3. The accountant called a meeting to discuss the company's perilous finances.
The accountant's __________________________ to discuss the company's perilous finances.
4. It may seem strange, but a tomato is technically a fruit.
Strange __________________________, a tomato is technically a fruit.
5. You'd be in a better position to tackle the exam if you had studied harder.
If you'd studied harder, __________________________ for the exam.
6. I felt so relaxed at Tricia's apartment because her friends greeted me so warmly.
Tricia's friends __________________________ with the warmth of their greeting.
7. Grant completely ignored his elder brother's recommendation.
Grant __________________________ his elder brother's recommendation.
8. The author said that he'd invented the whole plot himself.
The scriptwriter said that he'd __________________________ any help.