under the weather
rain on someone's parade
every cloud has a silver lining
head in the clouds
storm in a teacup
get wind of something
it never rains but it pours
under a cloud
hot under the collar
blow hot and cold
make heavy weather of something
any port in a storm
1. I only touched his new car and he went crazy. He is over-protective of it and made a real __STORM IN A TEACUP__.
2. He has been __UNDER A CLOUD__ ever since he was caught cheating in the exam. Everyone looks at him strangely and it will take him a long time before he is trusted again.
3. If you are feeling a bit __HOT UNDER THE COLLAR__, go and have a walk around the block, get some fresh air and try and calm down a bit.
4. Are you feeling a bit __UNDER THE WEATHER__? You have been looking a bit tired and ill since you arrived in the office this morning.
5. First the bank sent us that rude letter about our loan, then the house got broken into, then this morning John lost his job! __IT NEVER RAINS BUT IT POURS__.
6. I can never tell what mood she is going to be in. She always __BLOWS HOT AND COLD__ and you have to be really careful around her.
7. When I lost my job three years ago, I felt so depressed but it is true that __EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING__: I started my own business and have been happier ever since.
8. We have hardly any money. You will have to accept any job they offer you because we need the money desperately. We have to accept __ANY PORT IN A STORM__.
9. Your uncle was so happy about his new model car that he had finished but his wife turned round and really __RAINED ON HIS PARADE__ saying it was just a toy for kids.
10. It was only five miles to the next hostel but we __MADE HEAVY WEATHER OF IT__ of it due to the weight of the packs and took nearly three hours to get there.
11. I never knew about the chance of a new job at all. I only __GOT WIND OF IT__ from Kathy who had overheard the managers talking at lunch in the staff canteen.
12. Daisy always __HAS HER HEAD IN THE CLOUDS__ - a real dreamer who finds it difficult to accept the mundane in life. She is a typical teenager!