Phrasal Verbs With "Break"
For each space in each sentence, use the verb break with one of the prepositions from the box.
1. When he saw the police behind him, he __BROKE INTO__ a run.
2. Bring your mobile phone just in case the car ___BREAKS DOWN___ on the motorway.
3. War has ___BROKEN OUT___ in the small African country of Gabon. All Europeans are advised to leave immediately.
4. If the expenses and income of a company are equal, the company ___BREAKS EVEN___. If it earns more money, it has made a profit.
5. Someone is ___BREAKING IN___! I heard a window smashing. Call the police!
6. When Prince Charles ___BROKE UP___ with Princess Diana, nobody imagined he would marry again.
7. A general election was called after negotiations between the government and the opposition __BROKE DOWN___.
8. After the First World War, the Ottoman Empire was ___BROKEN UP___.
9. In "Jurassic Park", there is panic and chaos when the carnivorous dinosaurs ___BROKE OUT___ of their enclosures.
10. Go slowly in that new car for a few days. You need to __BREAK IN___ the engine.