Modal Verbs: Extra or Missing Words
Which of these sentences has an extra or missing word? Look carefully at how the modal verbs are used.
1. "I can't see you tonight, Brad," she said, tears in her eyes.
2. If you must play your music so loud, close the door!
3. The mayor told the crowd he had to resign, that it was the right thing to do.
4. In golf, the rules say you shouldn't pick up your ball without very good reason.
5. Hannah was told she had to stay at school late because of her bad behavior.
6. We may go to the Bahamas for our next vacation. We will think about it.
7. I'd love to have a look at your new phone. May I?
8. Why are you smoking again? You know you shouldn't after what your doctor said.