Pre-Intermediate Level >> Vocabulary Worksheets >> In these exercises, students have to choose the correct word out of four given possibilities. Students should be encouraged to think about the other three possibilities and explain why they are not possible.
Vocabulary Multiple Choice Worksheet.
Deciding between different, similar vocabulary items becomes ever more difficult as students progress through ever higher levels in their English studies. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Three prisoners ____________ from the central prison this morning. Police have described them as dangerous and warned the public not to approach them if seen.
2. You said you were with Trevor but that was a ____________! You were with that terrible girl again.
3. I hope you have finished ____________ your suitcases - the taxi has just arrived!
4. I didn't sleep very well at all last night. It was too cold; I will put another ____________ on the bed tonight.
5. The boat sank when it hit a ____________ that was hidden under the water. Everyone had to swim to the beach.
6. When we go on vacation, I want to ____________ some time fishing in that lake we visited last year.
7. When he asks me the questions, just ____________ the answers quietly in my ear and he will never know.
8. If you want to pass that exam, I ____________ you to start studying for it immediately.
9. When you finish making the dough for the bread, put it in the oven and ____________ for about 90 minutes.
10. Hayley is a very ____________ girl. She knows where she wants to be in five years' time and how she is going to get there.