Pre-Intermediate Level >> Vocabulary Worksheets >> This is a series of exercises for students to do that will help them understand the finer differences between different words at pre-intermediate level. Ask them to think about why the other words are not possible.
Vocabulary Multiple Choice Worksheet.
Deciding between different, similar vocabulary items becomes ever more difficult as students progress through ever higher levels in their English studies. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. It is traditional in the West for the couple to exchange ____________ during the wedding ceremony.
2. Don't stand on the chair like that! That chair is not very ____________!
3. What is that marvellous ____________ coming from the kitchen? Is someone making bread?
4. It has been three hours since Kate went out to the supermarket. I am starting to feel a little ____________.
5. John will fail his exams because he has a terrible ____________. He thinks he just has to go to the lessons and he will pass! He never studies.
6. Can you come around to our place on Saturday to ____________ Carl for us, please? We would like to go to the cinema that evening.
c. take up
d. look for
7. I went to see the bank manager this morning to see if I could ____________ $500 and he said no!!
8. Make sure you clean the ____________ after you finish cooking. Yesterday, the floor was disgusting!
9. I don't really want to have a ____________ job as I would like to have my mornings free to be able to study.
10. You can be as rich as a king but I still think your ____________ is the most important thing in the world.