B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 20
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. When he was still a ______________ 19 year old, he went to Harvard University.
2. Billy the Kid was one of the most ______________ killers of the old West.
3. Mary and Peter don't have any children. They're ______________, but perfectly happy.
4. Police are looking into the ______________ of a ghostly hitch-hiker, reported by several drivers on the highway near Alton.
5. My next guest is a ______________ name now but had to work for many years to become so well known.
6. We tried, ______________, to climb the mountain but the weather deteriorated quickly so we had to give up.
7. My boss said your resume was great so he's likely to look at your application very ______________.
8. We have used stone of different ______________ to get that amazing effect. It's a very special building.