B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Marcus started learning French two years ago.
Marcus has __BEEN LEARNING FRENCH FOR__ two years.
2. Harry isn't here. He went to lunch twenty minutes ago.
Harry isn't here. He __HAS GONE TO__ lunch.
3. Do you own that stereo?
Is __THAT STEREO YOURS__?
4. Look at how black the sky is! There is rain arriving.
Look at how black the sky is! It __IS GOING TO RAIN__.
5. What a shame. There is no food left!
I __WISH WE HAD SOME FOOD__ left!
6. What a shame. They ate all the food.
I __WISH THEY HADN'T EATEN__ all the food.
7. The teenagers were stealing my car when I arrived.
My car __WAS BEING STOLEN BY THE__ teenagers when I arrived.
8. You use that little hammer to crack the stones.
This little hammer __IS FOR CRACKING THE STONES__.