B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 24 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Heavy rain has caused the cancellation of the outdoor garden party.
___DUE TO HEAVY RAIN___, the garden party has been cancelled.
2. There isn't enough space for me to park my car there.
My car __DOESN'T/WON'T FIT__ in that space.
3. Phone me immediately after you arrive at the conference.
__AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE__ at the conference, telephone me.
4. Who does this pen belong to?
Do you know __WHOSE THIS PEN IS/WHOSE PEN THIS IS__?
5. The amount of money spent on the project makes it very important.
This project __IS OF GREAT IMPORTANCE__ owing to the money spent on it.
6. At first, I couldn't speak Russian. Now I find it easy.
Eventually, I __GOT USED TO SPEAKING__ Russian.
7. Is your house big enough to take us if we come and stay for a few days?
Is there __ENOUGH ROOM IN YOUR HOUSE__ if we come and stay for a few days?
8. Although it was raining, we had the barbecue.
In __SPITE OF THE RAIN__, we had the barbecue.