B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 19 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. It wasn't me who took the book. I didn't touch it!
I __DENIED HAVING TOUCHED__ the book.
2. I can take you to the airport if your flight is early.
I __OFFERED TO TAKE__ Jenny to the airport for the following morning.
3. "Why not try for Harvard University Karen?"
He __ENCOURAGED KAREN TO__ apply to Harvard University.
4. Could I stay with you in Chicago for a few days, John?
Could __YOU PUT ME UP IN__ Chicago for a few days?
5. I don't know how you tolerate such a miserable person.
How do you __PUT UP WITH SOMEONE WHO__ is so miserable?
6. I would like to be thinner.
I __WISH I WASN'T (SO)__ fat.
7. "Well done! You got the job," her mother said.
Her mother __CONGRATULATED HER ON GETTING THE__ job.
8. "It was Peter who stole the fruit," Jenny shouted.
Jenny __BLAMED PETER FOR__ stealing the fruit.