B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 16 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. "It would be better to wait a year before going to university."
Peter __ADVISED NOT GOING__ to university for another year.
2. You will see better results if you study harder Pete.
Pete's mother __ENCOURAGED HIM TO STUDY HARDER__ saying he would see better results.
3. I really don't like sitting down all day.
I __CAN'T STAND SITTING IN/ON__ chairs all day.
4. Do you like the work you do here, John?
Are you __KEEN ON THE WORK__ you do here, John?
5. They had argued but were friends again by the time of the party.
They __HAD MADE UP__ and were friends again by the time of the party.
6. Mrs Patterson would sit on that old rocking chair for hours telling us stories from her childhood.
Mrs Patterson __USED TO SIT ON THAT__ old rocking chair for hours telling us stories from her childhood.
7. I regret not studying more in the final weeks.
If __ONLY I HAD STUDIED__ more in the final weeks.
8. It really annoys me how people use cell phones on the bus.
I __WISH PEOPLE WOULDN'T USE__ cell phones on the bus.