Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Advanced Writing - Test Two
You must answer this question. Write your answer in 220-260 words in an appropriate style on the separate answer sheet.
1. You attended a debate at a local community centre at which a proposal to launch a new local TV station was discussed. You have made the notes below:
What would be the benefits of a new local TV station?
- community events
- local businesses
Some opinions expressed during the debate:
"TV is dying. Everyone uses the internet."
"Will younger people engage with local television?"
"TV service can't just become vehicle for wall-to-wall advertising!"
Write an essay, discussing two of the benefits in your notes. You should explain which benefit you think would be most important, giving reasons in support of your answer.
You may, if you wish, make use of the opinions expressed in the debate, but you should use your own words as far as possible.
Write an answer to one of the questions 2-4 in this part. Write your answer in 220-260 words in an appropriate style on the separate answer sheet.
2. You have just returned from the cinema where you saw a film with a friend. You would like to write to another friend and suggest they go to see the film while it's still showing.
- Tell your friend about the film without spoiling it for them. Mention the story, the cast and the audience reaction.
- Mention something that you might have changed or done differently.
Write your letter.
3. You work in a large office in which you would like to promote healthier eating and better fitness levels. The manager of the company has asked you to write a proposal outlining some measures that can be taken to achieve these goals.
In your proposal, you should discuss some ideas such as vegetarian days, office cooking clubs, gym equipment that can be purchased and weight loss competitions.
Write your proposal.
4. A school that has always had a strict school uniform policy is considering getting rid of school uniforms and allowing students to wear something more informal.
You have been asked to submit a report that outlines the main advantages and disadvantages of each policy.
Write your report.