Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the Cambridge Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 8
For each sentence, use up to five words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way.
1. They thought that the music was too loud.
As _____________________ the music was too loud.
2. In spite of all my efforts, I didn't manage to persuade them to come to the concert.
No matter _____________________, I didn't manage to persuade them to come to the concert.
3. The police were forced to release the suspect because new evidence was produced.
The police were forced to release the suspect _____________________ evidence produced.
4. But for the sea being unusually warm, they never would have survived.
If it hadn't been for the _____________________ been killed.
5. People know more about my novels than the plays I write.
I'm _____________________ than as a playwright.
6. I've been informed that you've been late to the office every day this week.
It has _____________________ that you've been late to the office every day this week.
7. I apologise but I totally forgot about our dinner appointment.
I must _____________________ my mind.
8. They made him wait for two hours, then eventually let him in.
He was eventually allowed in after having _____________________ for two hours.