Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the Cambridge Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Free Test Prep Materials for
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 8
For each sentence, use up to five words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way.
1. They thought that the music was too loud.
2. In spite of all my efforts, I didn't manage to persuade them to come to the concert.
3. The police were forced to release the suspect because new evidence was produced.
4. But for the sea being unusually warm, they never would have survived.
5. People know more about my novels than the plays I write.
6. I've been informed that you've been late to the office every day this week.
7. I apologise but I totally forgot about our dinner appointment.
8. They made him wait for two hours, then eventually let him in.